Wednesday, July 21, 2010

MACHE, FIGS, PECANS ...

I love a good salad. And my lettuce of choice is Mache - which is known as a nutty french leaf. I used to be able to buy it all around town, but now I can only find it at Trader Joe's — and you have to get there early before it sells out.

Anyway, to my mache I add chopped figs, goat cheese, avocado, mini heirloom tomatoes, pecan halves, and fresh dill. Drizzle with olive oil, and Orange Muscat Champagne Vinegar (also from Trader Joe's), add some fresh ground pepper and mustard seed, then toss. And, if anyone knows how to pronounce Mache - let me know!

1 comment:

  1. love mache -- pronounce it just like mosh as in mosh pit. its one syllable -- don't try to make it difficult. its got nothing to do with paper mache, or machetes.
    You can cook mache too -- just blanch it til it wilts, much like spinach.
    To really francophile it up try to find some walnut oil -- a little goes a long way so careful! I love it with some thyme and shredded tarragon, but I could eat tarragon morning noon and night, awake and asleep.
    If you are big on salads try fresh oregano, the flavor is much more subtle than the dried, perfect for a simple salad of escarole w oil and a vinegar. Speaking of vinegar buy some white wine vinegar and add a generous amount of tarragon. Gorgeosity, and perfect for any mache salad.

    ReplyDelete